Wednesday, July 13, 2011

56:DESK

I like to want things. I like to think about getting things for a long time before I actually get them. I've been wanting a desk for six months. I looked on craigslist often, finding potential choices, but never following up. See, desks cost money.

At our apartment complex, the area surrounding the dumpster was a permanent spot where reject furniture was placed. One day when I came home, there was a desk. It was small enough to fit into the nook in our room. I walked over to it and looked it over. It didn't match the furniture in our room. It was missing a shelf. It had wheels and the keyboard drawer worked. It was perfect.

I ran upstairs and told my husband to come downstairs with me. I showed him the desk and he was unexcited about taking a free desk from the dumpster area on our road. But he saw my excitement and gave in, only requesting that I clean every surface once we got upstairs. I did.

It is beat up, but it is mine. I made a corner of it and I could not be more excited. My husband said he would never use it, but the other day I came home to find him using the printer, sitting in the chair, computer attached. Our newest addition is therefore officially a success.

No comments: