Tuesday, February 08, 2011

29

Homemade Applesauce.

I don't remember why I started making homemade applesauce. I think that I thought it would be cheaper for some reason, definitely healthier [and a great way to use my leftover apples from Panera before they go bad]. I will say that one of my favorite things for breakfast is non-sweetened Greek yogurt with homemade applesauce mixed in. And get this. I make it in the microwave.

Recipe
  • 4-6 apples quickly peeled [some skin adds crunch] and cubed [I usually buy red ones because they are sweet enough that I don't have to add a great deal of sugar]
  • 1/2-1 TBS brown sugar [dependent on your sweet tooth and type of apples.]
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • sprinkle of nutmeg
  • 1/8 cup water
  • 1 TBS lemon juice [if fresh, I usually use juice and rind from 1/2 a lemon]
Stir together in large microwave bowl. Heat in microwave 8-10 minutes. Mash to desired consistency. [Try it warm, it's delicious!]

No comments: