Monday, January 03, 2011

2

Queen Elizabeth: [Using the name "Mrs. Johnson"] My husband's work involves a great deal of public speaking.
Lionel Logue: Then he should change jobs.
Queen Elizabeth: He can't.
Lionel Logue: What is he, an indentured servant?
Queen Elizabeth: Something like that.



These days I've been interested in WWII, from reading Bonhoeffer (a biography of a pastor in Germany during WWII) to Sarah's Key (a fictional piece about the 1942 Paris roundups and deportations). Tonight I saw The King's Speech with my husband. It is about King George VI and a doctor who helps him overcome his stutter, very necessary for all of the speeches he read during during WWII. I found out about it from a blog I read. The above quote is from the film.

I find myself drawn to this war that forced people into roles beyond their comprehension. But the circumstances forced betterment of character and growth. Extreme persistence. Hope in the face of darkness.


2 comments:

Amanda said...

I really want to see The Kings Speech

KO said...

I would so see it again. Just saying.